I read lots of Bigbangs. LOTS of. I started at least half of what was posted yet, though I haven’t finished all of them. I could rec lot, but I’ll rec what my heart wants you to read – only picking the best and not all the others I read (and feedbacked like crazy
Found a typo? Bring it back to me; it's not yours.
Here we go. Bigbangs and so on.
Shipwrecked by the laughter of god by cyndrarae – 36k
HER Summary: Jared Padalecki had his plan all carefully laid out - Fuck the guy, keep him facing the cameras, then collect the money and run like hell. It was a simple job really. He wasn't too worried. And they were going to pay him so well...
Jensen Ackles prided himself for his excellent judgment of truth and character. It had served him well so far, and he had no reasons to doubt otherwise. So when Jensen meets Jared, he thinks he has him all figured out...
MY summary: With a style I am absolutely lost for words cyndrarae manages to turn the cliché of the prostitution business (This is NOT a story about prostitution, though. It’s more like, part of it. But it’s not the center!) into something so soft and vulnerable; 36 k filled with believable characters not only considering Jensen and Jared, but also people that follow their paths of life. There is not MUCH happening here; the STYLE and the way the author surprises the reader and leaves him, especially in tbe first two chapters, often half-lurking in the dark makes this an absolutely win.
- Style! Rarely read anything that brilliant in the whole BigBang time nor in any of my time as a reader in fandom at all. Great sex scenes *cough*
- Characterization – absolute believable and in-depth with a history and a future
- Storyline is interesting and filled with cliffhangers and interesting turns. Very realistic especially in the last three chapters
- Some scenes appear slightly too short so that special reactions of certain characters seem slightly unclear (at least for me) – but too short is my major con.
There. I said it.
Only After Disaster can we be Resurrected by chase_acrow – 40k
HER summary: Jared's life gets turned upside down when he rescues and befriends a man from a seedy underground fighting ring. Friendship turns to lust, turns to, well, he's not quite sure, but he does know that Jensen has become the most important thing in his recently upturned life.
MY summary: Someone naming a story after a quote of Fight Club needs to have written something hot, and this is. With a very floating and catchy style chase_acrow manages to write about the situation of Jared buying Jensen and how he deals not only with having a human being as a belonging but also with his own inner issues and feelings towards that person.
- Great atmosphere concerning the fighting scenes
- Amazing interactions of Jared and Jensen and their way of finding together – very slowly, step after step, absolutely realistic
- Smooth and easygoing yet tempting style.
- Beginning reads slightly strange – I don’t know why, it feels like the style’s not fitting with the rest of the story
- Too much bashing of certain characters in a too unrealistic way. Too bad.
After the tone by kashmir1 – 24,5 k
HER summary: Years and years on the same show can spoil a guy, so it's no wonder that Jensen finds himself at loose ends after Supernatural's over. With Jared's schedule already filled up and no desire to play the Hollywood game anymore, Jensen takes a role in an Off-Broadway production in New York City, and starts himself on a journey to find out just who he is and exactly what - or who - he wants from life.
MY summary: Written in such an intense and thoughtful way is THIS a story about missing someone and interacting only with a dead cell phone until someone stumbles into that ONE person again and sees himself unable to deal with all these feelings and sensations again. The (a little longer) absence of Jared gets readers hooked and makes you want to continue reading, added with the style that is represented here, well, we have something really beautiful and classic
- Interaction between the characters – here the interaction settles on things such as CELL PHONES, not only being realistic but also making the reader become slightly anxious and worried.
- Style – What I loved the most was kashmir1’s way of showing the pass of TIME and how weeks walk into months and all that. VERY atmospheric (very good sexscenes, too)
- Characterization of Jensen is very intense; also how he is characterized by other characters.
- Err. . . too fast development of love as soon as they see each other? But that’s not really critic. I mean, they see each other, they feel for each other, they’re guys, sure they do not wait LONG with banging each other. Wtf.
Do I seem bulletproof to you? by fleshflutter - 96k
Do I even have to rec this one?
HER summary: When he can't find any acting work, Jared takes a job as driver and bodyguard to Jensen, who is an extremely expensive prostitute with a bad habit of attracting crazy people.
MY summary: THIS is a story about how doing the prostitution-cliché right in all possible manners. We have a nervous Jared that realizes he falls in love with the one he should not love, we have Jensen with his stubborn head and his way of dealing with things, and we have a story that walks over MONTHS. Something I always appreciate.
- Amazing smooth and warm style. Sex scenes I’ve rarely read this good before. Descriptions en masse but still always nice and enjoyable to read.
- Realism. Not only is the whole topic of prostitution well-positioned, but also WHAT is going on and HOW business like this works is presented great.
- Characterization. Jensen as some sort of asshole that needs his own rules and works his own way, Jared that tries to stay with his job but simply fails and is Jensen as we know and love him. Recognizable patterns in their way of talking; one recognizes who says what just be reading dialog lines.
- Lots of PLOT TWOSTS. Suspense.
- Show, don’t tell.
- Epilogue kinda feels like a deep fall after the brilliance of the whole story told before. It’s good, but it absolutely falls.
- With Jared’s POV, the first kiss is an absolute surprise and so CAN be seen as too suddenly and unexplained. WTF I don’t know. Take it or leave it.
What remains by walkawayslowly – 39,5 k
HER summary: In Jefferson, Texas a man ends a generations-old curse and saves all the town's children, but completely loses his memory in the process. When it's discovered that he's a wanted criminal, the town comes together to conceal him out of gratitude for what he's done for them, giving him an apartment, a job and a whole new life. It takes seven months for Sam to find Dean, and when he finally does, he has to adapt to being around a man who has no idea that he used to be Sam's brother.
MY summary: This is the tale about Sam trying to not only find Dean back but also realise that there is so much more for his brother than he wanted to be. With two extremely enjoyable Original Characters (there, I said it) this is such a warmhearting story about a Dean without memories and a Sam that simply falls in love and only wants the best for hos brother.
- Well-used cliché of loss of memory
- WARM and familiar atmosphere; with the two OCs, this story feels like a good book
- Light-hearted style which makes it very easy and ongoing to read. Some lines just made me go “awwww” with pure sympathy, and when a story can create that feeling, it hit’s bulls eye
- Some developments might come of a bit too sudden
- The ending, though definitely good, creates a huge distance from the start.
- Story has a long beginning. Continue reading, though
- The explanation for the amnesia is okay. Not more, not less.
Yeah. That’s it. My top 5, couldn’t put them in an order, though.
That’s not all.
We go on.
In a Mirror Distorted and Indistinct by felisblanco – 36,8 k
HER summary: They keep calling him beautiful. Pretty. “Come on. Look this way. Give us a smile, Jensen.” He smiles and blinks against the flashes, fighting the urge to lower his eyes, to hide the blush burning under layers of makeup. Sweat runs down his back, his hands tremble.
He’s not pretty, not beautiful. He’s small and weak and pathetic and one day they’re all gonna figure it out. One day…
MY summary: Read the warnings - this is the story where Jensen stumbles into an eating disorder, not only Not believing in himself but also not-believing into a bright future for him and a life without weakness and disrespect is THIS where Jared meets him in the real world at the aud for Supernatural, becomes his friend and starts to care more than he wanted to…
Go read it. I don’t care about Pro or cons, just go and read it or…
- Realism. NOT only is this a Jared/Jensen story that actually has the ability to present the past as it MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED (which is something I always appreciate) but this also deals with eating disorders and the way of life when you’re trapped like that. This deals so amazingly WARM and REALISTICLY with all these terrible things, woah. Woah.
- Style. Smooth, elegant, intense, catchy.
- Characterization! Jared made me cry and laugh and feels so lively you think you can touch him; Jensen is the one you feel sorry for though you do not want him to feel sorry for him. No sign of fishing for compliments or something – just a boy with problems he never solved.
- Intense development of the storyline and the friendship of Jensen and Jared
- Did I say everything?
- . . . . . . err. ? There is nothing coming into my mind, nothing. I’m sorry.
Rec for an author.
Jeez, so many people seem to NOT know this author, which is such a sad thing for I absolutely admire her way of writing elegant, beautiful sort fiction of Sam/Dean. Nothing NEW, one might argue, but I really love the intense and poetic style. She SO knows how to use stylistic elements such as repetitions and climaxes/metaphors, KNOWS how to catch readers with the very first line. Atmosphere’s an absolutely plus of her stories; she just creates such a LOT of it you feel like you’re standing right inside that scene. Her characters are in character – her Dean just one of the best I’ve met in Wincest stories.
Fics I’d rec :
- Just a moment
Give her a try. She’s so worth one.
That's it. More will follow as soon as things concerning moving out have calmed and whatnot. Thanks for your patience.